Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC: Response to COVID-19
As Blue Cross NC monitors the Coronavirus, they are taking specific steps to improve members’ access to doctors and medications:
- BCBS will waive cost-sharing – including deductibles, co-payments, and co-insurance – for treatments related to COVID-19 if a member is diagnosed with the virus.
- BCBS is waive cost sharing for all telehealth visits conducted through MDLive or Teladoc and is expanding virtual access to health care providers. Visits to doctors that previously required a face-to-face encounter can be performed virtually. For telehealth services to be covered, these virtual visits must be medically necessary and be offered by an in-network provider, MDLive, or Teladoc. BCBS will also cover doctor visits by phone, in addition to video.
- BCBS will waive early medication refill limits on 30-day prescription maintenance medications (for example heart, diabetes, cancer, blood pressure) so that members can have a one-month supply on hand. Members can also ask their doctor to order a 90-day prescription and even ask for medications to be mail ordered for delivery to their home.
- BCBS members will have zero out-of-pocket expenses for the COVID-19 test and will not need prior approval. All testing costs will be covered whether or not a member has met their deductible. Doctor visits to screen for COVID-19 will be covered the same as any other doctor visit, based on health plan. If you believe you need COVID-19 testing, call your doctor.
- BCBS will allow a 30-day extension to pay premiums and is providing a 30-day extension, as needed, for deadlines related to claims submissions, appeals filing, authorization requests of medical services, and additions of newborn and adopted children to a policy.
- If a member is diagnosed with COVID-19 illness, BCBS will not require prior approval for medically necessary services.
If members have questions about these changes, please contact Blue Cross NC Customer Service at 1-877-258-3334.
For updates from Blue Cross NC, and more COVID-19 resources being offered, you can visit their website blog by clicking the button below:Latest Updates on the Coronavirus from Blue Cross NC